Re: FWD: Employment Interview Questions

Subject: Re: FWD: Employment Interview Questions
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 13:36:57 -0600

>I feel I can present myself well in an interview, but I'm bothered by one
inevitable question: Why are you wanting to leave your present job? I've
been at my present job for only a year. I know not to go into specific
details (it would take hours!); I'm also somewhat uncomfortable using the
well-worn phrase "I'm looking for new challenges." In a nutshell, there is
a personality conflict with my manager that I know won't change.

(edit)

>I hope those of you who are hiring managers or writers who have faced the
same dilemma can give me some suggestions or can refer me somewhere where I
can get more information. I'm also interested in any advice anyone can
give me about how much information my manager is allowed to give a new
employer.

I'm not a hiring person, but I'm currently in a job search. The concern I'm
hearing from everyone who interviews me is "fit." That is, they want
someone who's a good fit with the company culture, the current staff, and
the management.

Once they find two or three candidates with the skill set they want,
they're interviewing extensively to see which one offers the best fit.

It may be a good idea for you to simply say you don't feel your current job
is a good 'fit' for you. Once you say that, the interviewer will ask
exactly what kind of organization you want to work for, what type of
situation WOULD be a good 'fit'--be prepared to offer an answer. AND be
prepared for some interviewers to say, "Well, you wouldn't find this
company to be good fit, either."

But that's positive, too. Nothing worse (to me) than going from one bad
situation to another.

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax