Re: Functional requirements, take II

Subject: Re: Functional requirements, take II
From: John Renish <John_F_Renish -at- NOTES -dot- SEAGATE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:22:43 -0800

Geoff Hart wrote:
<snip>
IEEE. 1994. IEEE recommended practice for software requirements
specifications. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
New York, N.Y. IEEE Std 830-1993.
It's pricey for nonmembers, but it looks good based on my quick skim.
(That's _not_ a book review... I haven't had a chance to do more than
glance over it. Perhaps someone who's used it can elaborate?)
</snip>

It's poorly written, inconsistent in its approach, and confusing. It's also
the bible for people who want to implement good software development
standards and I recommend it strongly. If you buy it, make sure you get it
through somebody in your company who is a member of the IEEE--you'll save a
bundle. Also, you need the IEEE Standard for System Requirements
Specifications, which was in draft at the time the big book was printed.

John_F_Renish -at- notes -dot- seagate -dot- com, San Jose, California, USA
My remarks do not represent any other person or entity
"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day."
--Thucydides