Framers listserv (Was: Updating graphic links in FrameMaker)

Subject: Framers listserv (Was: Updating graphic links in FrameMaker)
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:25:41 +0800

The best place for FrameMaker questions is the Framers listserv.
You can search the archives and FAQ to get an idea of the topics that
come up: http://www.FrameUsers.com

Posting Address: Framers -at- FrameUsers -dot- com
Human Admin (Brad Anderson): brad -at- FrameUsers -dot- com
brad -at- falconmedia -dot- com
Website: http://www.FrameUsers.com

Brian Lightfoot wrote:
> Does anyone know how to update links to graphics in FrameMaker?
>
> Right now if we copy a procedure from one document to the next,
> FrameMaker retains the original reference. I have to cut the graphic
> and reimport it after I've copied it to the local subdirectory.

There's some good advice in the manual that explains how best to
store imported graphics. It's on pp. 16-12 - 16-13 of the FrameMaker
for UNIX 5.0 manual, titled 'Managing Graphics Imported By Reference'.
There's also a sidebar titled 'How FrameMaker Locates Imported
Graphics Files'. If you follow these tips you shouldn't have to do
anything extra to the document to have it find graphics after it's
been moved.

The main thing is to store the graphics in a subdirectory of the
document directory. Frame will always look for the graphics in a
subdirectory of that name, no matter where you move the document.
I do this to transfer documents between my Solaris machine at work
and my Windows PC at home.

I hear the manual was radically revised and condensed for FM 5.5. If
that's the version you're using, try the Index under "directories:
for imported graphics".

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield "Fun, fun, fun
Functional Software Pty Ltd In the sun, sun, sun. . ."
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au