Re: Grammar Guides, Dictionaries, etc.

Subject: Re: Grammar Guides, Dictionaries, etc.
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:09:24 +1100

These are ideal basic choices. (BTW, in response to Linda Sherman, I've
found that American Heritage is widely adopted as a house standard by
the US clients I've had, and I consider it more academically rigorous.)

On top of those, the Harbrace College handbook (or whatever its latest
name is) from Harcourt Brace is admirable for ironing out those points
of detail that we often argue about. (Remember the thread on who / whom
recently? Just because we're all professional writers doesn't mean we
all know all the answers!)

If you want a thesaurus, pick the biggest one you can find, but make
sure there's a house rule in place: if you find a word in the thesaurus,
check it in the dictionary before you use it! I've seen wonderful
instances (esp in student essays) where someone's used a synonym for a
homophone -- examples escape me right now, but consider "hypocrisy" as a
synonym for "cant": great, unless you mean "cant" as in "tilt".

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia