Re: Employment Interview

Subject: Re: Employment Interview
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 07:58:21 -0600

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Moreover, you do not want to work for any company that DOES consider long
> terms of employment a good thing.

With all due respect, how do you know?

> Sheesh, 10 years at one company can be a BAD thing! To some companies,
> terms of employment that long can indicate that some will not adjust well to
> a new environment or new technologies.

That would be a mistake. I've been in my current job for almost two years and I
can see myself being here for another eight. What we're working on is cutting
edge. I'm learning _tons_ of new technical things and the work forces me to be
stronger at managing myself and my work every day (or drown).

The history of the company I work for is that it keeps itself on the cutting
edge with new products, as the technology evolves. Financially, I can't
complain, either. And it could get better as we progress. Why would I leave?

If, in eight years, I walk out with the experience I suspect I'll have and you
don't consider me because I've been someplace ten years, you probably lose. I
think you've made a pretty sweeping generalization.You might do better to look
at a person's qualifications rather than reject them out of hand because that
person's been in the same company for a decade.

Chris Hamilton
chamilton -at- gr -dot- com
My views, not my employer's.