Re: PDF-aware Internet Search Engines

Subject: Re: PDF-aware Internet Search Engines
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:31:36 -0500

At 11:47 AM 2/19/98 -0500, Elise Kaplan wrote:

>Does anybody have any recommendations for intra/ternet search
>engines that [search within PDF files gracefully]?

Right now we're simply using Microsoft's Index Server with
the (freely available for download) Adobe IFilter package:

http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/ifilter.html

If you're running Microsoft Internet Information Server,
this solution has the following advantages:

(1) No additional cost
(2) Relative ease of configuration.

IFilter is a little quirky--you have to tweak settings if
you're working with large PDF files (> 1 megabyte)--but
it works pretty well, and you can't beat the price/performance
ratio. :-)

For more elegantly engineered solutions, there's a list of
PDF-aware commercial search engine products at the Adobe site:

http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/websearch.html

We've been looking at OpenText and Verity, among others.
Big bucks, but nice functionality. Don't know yet whether
the guys who sign the checks will go for it.

Hope this helps,

Barry
--
Barry Campbell | Senior Technical Writer
barry -at- webveranda -dot- com | Summit Systems, Inc.