Re: Employment Interview

Subject: Re: Employment Interview
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:45:45 -0800

At 02:28 PM 2/17/98 -0600, Tracy Boyington wrote:
>> Would you rather have
>> someone hide the truth so you could deal with the consequences after you
>> hire them or tell you the truth so you can ask one or two clarifying
>> questions during the interview.
>
>But how many hiring managers *would* ask clarifying questions, and how
>many would just slam a mental door in your face as soon as they heard
>"personality conflict?"

Actually, the manager who asks the clarifying questions is the one I'd want
to work for if I were interviewing. Seeing who pursues the topic and who
slams the door on the idea of a personality conflict gives me valuable
information about what it would be like to be that manager's employee.

I agree with those who say truth is best, though, naturally, I don't
advocate negativity. I believe there are always ways to say what is true
that puts things in the most positive light possible. The person who can do
this, in my opinion, is a better communicator than one who evades the
subject and uses only the "better career move" option.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Senior Technical Writer

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"