Re: Using functional specifications as help

Subject: Re: Using functional specifications as help
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:42:06 +1100

This is the difference between "describing what the thing does" and
"explaining how to use it". As another poster correctly says, there's a
huge audience difference -- but, as Barbara rightly suspects, there's
also a huge difference in task orientation.

Remember what used to happen before there were technical communicators
(and what still happens when programmers write the user docs)? The users
may be bowled over by the cleverness and complexity of the product, but
they have to work out for themselves how to complete the task at hand.

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia