Re: Incorporating Pagemaker in a Tech Writing Class?

Subject: Re: Incorporating Pagemaker in a Tech Writing Class?
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 12:43:47 +1100

At the University of Western Sydney, in the BA(Communications) course,
there are several subjects adding up to a Professional Writing major.
One is a basic subject called "Reasoned Writing" -- I hate the name, but
you can probably get some idea of what it's about. "Technical Writing"
is another subject. Then there's "Writing and Document Design" (WDD),
which includes a series of PageMaker tutorials -- not because we want
the students to learn PageMaker per se, but because they need to be able
to implement their designs (so that we can grade them!)

This whole structure is very modular, so that we can include some
modules (such as Reasoned Writing) in the journalism, tech writing, and
public relations streams. WDD is excluded from journalism, but fits in
both the Tech Writing and PR streams.

Much of the teaching is done by "industry professionals" on part-time
contracts (like me). I can't speak for all my colleagues, but certainly
in the Tech Writing subject I try to adopt a broader "Tech
Communication" approach rather than a narrower "Tech Writing" one. In
WDD, I try to go wider still, tying design issues to "genre" issues --
and thus including brochures, company reports, and even advertisements
as well as technical documents.

HTH!

--
Michael Lewis