Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 21 Feb 1998 to 22 Feb 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 21 Feb 1998 to 22 Feb 1998
From: Elizabeth Simeral <EJS -at- MACOLA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:34:59 -0500

The Central Ohio Chapter follows the same policy that Jay describes of
the Rocky Mtn. Chapter. We have a VP that becomes President the next
term, and the President becomes the Immediate Past President. This is
working very well for our chapter, but it is a new phenomenon with this
term when the former president of the past 3 years moved to the
Immediate Past President post, the VP moved to become the current
president, and the Program Chair became VP. This path of succession has
added stability to our chapter, while providing us with the assurance
that the executive position doesn't go unfilled. Anyone can run for VP,
but they do so with the commitment of becoming President the next term.
Also, the involvement from the executive level remains strong, similar
to the way Jay describes their chapter's success.

Jay Mead wrote:
> Reading your message about mysteriously vanishing STC presidents
made me realize that we are very lucky here in the Rocky Mtn. Chapter:
by
my count four presidents from the last 6 years remain quite active, and
large batch of other names appear on the committee rolls in various
capacities year after year. This continuity has been extremely
important
to us. One thing we do that keeps presidents active: we have a named
position on the Board of Immediate Past President. His/her duties are
hardly onerous--attend monthly Board mtgs and "provide counsel as
appropriate," but by writing that in to the job description the past
president is included in many activities by default. Also, the
vice-president automatically assumes the purple mantle of Most High
Exalted President the following year--as a result, a person has a
three-year involvement: VP, Pres, Immediate Past Pres. Works well for
us.<

Elizabeth Simeral
Central Ohio Chapter President
ejs -at- macola -dot- com