Database Publishing

Subject: Database Publishing
From: Garret Romaine <garret -dot- h -dot- romaine -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:53:16 -0800

I haven't seen this addressed lately, so I thought I'd see if anyone has
any thoughts about database publishing. The concept is pretty
straightforward: by tagging text that is reused throughout a
documentation set, you only have to update once, and the system
constructs the manual based on everything set for the tags.

The problem is in the setup and the maintenance. Have any of you worked
through these issues and decided for or against? I know that Interleaf
has seen its market share deteriorate steadily over the last few years,
and we're now actively considering replacing it as a tool. One of the
things we're struggling with is the issue of whether to go to a desktop
publishing system that supports database tags or to slowly leave that
world behind.

Any thoughts would be welcome. Do any of the rest of you who use
Interleaf rely on it for the version control, the database option,
embedded graphics tools, or some other feature? And no fair taking
potshots at our department's tools choice -- it made sense at the time
-- and we get enough hits for this tool as it is.

Garret Romaine
Tektronix, Inc.
garret -dot- h -dot- romaine -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com