Re: binding user guides part II

Subject: Re: binding user guides part II
From: "Dana B. Mackonis" <writer -at- JLC -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 13:36:29 -0500

This was an interesting question - I just came back from an excellent
FrameMaker class offered by PUBSnet and this was a topic of discussion
in the classroom.

The basic difference is that PageMaker is used "mostly" for smaller documents,
such as brochures. It can be used for book building if that is all you have.

FrameMaker is a true desktop publishing tool, that is cross platform (MAC,
UNIX,
PC). Its power lies in the amount of manipulation you can actually do from
within a document. One of its most powerful tools is the conditional text
feature. It handles larges documents more efficiently than PageMaker.

I am curious about the bindery's preferences for using MAC files. Frame is
totally cross platform, and I have used all three versions at the same time
with either a zip drive (MAC or PC) or diskettes (all 3) as the transfer
media.

If you get a "better" answer from the bindery, can you post it to the list?

>The bindery we're using is insistent in getting either
>PageMaker or Mac FrameMaker files (but not PC FrameMaker).

dana b mackonis '-.-' writer -at- jlc -dot- net
Write Now, Inc.
Publishing and Internet Technology