Re: VRML: practical uses?

Subject: Re: VRML: practical uses?
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 12:53:52 -0600

As a matter of fact, I did use VRML 2.0 to put together a proposal for a
change to a user interface. I haven't presented it yet.

OK, the user interface is for an abstract art project on the web, so my
VRML is kind of meta-cool. The thing it illustrates is more cute than
useful, and quite slow. (I do see significant artistic merit. It buys no
pizza, but it's a project I consider worthwhile.) But it does illustrate
a very particular technical idea. The 2.0 is significant, because that's
the first version where the objects move, and my VRML shows the
interface changing from the old version to the new.

And no, I don't expect any money to come out of this project.

As much as I object to using technology just because it's there, VRML is
cool enough that I wish I could justify using it in my normal work.
Unfortunately, I have not found a need for it. And I have seen a lot of
very slow and pointless VRML applications.

You may be luckier.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com