Subject: Summary: URL style
From: Beth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:22:56 MTN

The vast majority said the proper usage is "a URL" (U-R-L) rather than "an
URL" (earl), and you might want to define it on first reference (Uniform
Resource Locator).

One person noted that French people pronounce it OO Air EL. So even when
spelled out, it begins with a vowel sound for some people for whom
English is a second language.

And some agreed with my conclusion, that it's best to avoid using it
altogether -- especially when your audience includes computer novices.
Seems to me that URL is unnecessarily dorky.

Alternates offered were:
World Wide Web address
World Wide Web home page
Web page address
Web site address
Web address
WWW address
Internet address (many said this would be inaccurate, though)

Or just say, "Go to the following address on the Web:"

To keep it short and simple, I think I'll go with Web address.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!
Beth Kane
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com