Re: Fuzzy screen capts. in PDF

Subject: Re: Fuzzy screen capts. in PDF
From: Hans Lonissen <lonis -at- EURONET -dot- NL>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 22:57:48 +0100

Stella Raposo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I too have come across this problem of fuzzy text and screen captures while
> viewing PDF files in Acrobat Exchange. Although, when I print the files,
> the text looks fine, but the screen captures look just as bad as they do on
> screen. (I'm using Windows NT 4.0, and the files were saved as GIFs and
> WMFs.)
>
> As someone on the list suggested, I deselected the Smooth Text and
> Monochrome Images option, and that did appear to make the text clearer on
> the screen. However, it did not change the appearance of my screen
> captures. Does anyone out there have any solution?

Hi Stella,

Just had the same problem and found the solution before the (very
helpful) guys at Adobe Support did. The solution worked and even they
didn't excactly know why.
Perhaps this also works for you:
* Click Start > Settings > Printers and open the Properties for the
Adobe Distiller "Printer".
* Click the "Font"-tab.
* Click the "Send Fonts as..." button in the lower left of the box.
* In the middle of the just opened "Send Fonts as..." box is a textbox
with the a sentence above it that starts with "Threshold to switch
between downloading bitmap...".
* Enter the value "1" in the box in stead of the default "100".
* Keep clicking "OK" until your back in the Printers Window.
* Start Acrobat Distiller and try distilling the file.
Hope this works!

--
Hans Lonissen, SIG / PALGA
Tel: +31 30 2345 184 / Fax: +31 30 2345 199 / home: +31 10 465 79 04