Re: Is there research for spelling out numbers in documentation?

Subject: Re: Is there research for spelling out numbers in documentation?
From: Ronni Geist <ronni -at- GEISTWRITERS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 00:38:19 -0500

Robyn -

Regarding your question "Is there research for spelling out numbers in
documentation?" you might want to contact the International Reading
Association (ira.org). They have a SIG (Special Interest Group) which
focuses on current research and practices in the field of readability.

You mention that you know the "general rules" regarding when to spell
out numbers, but I wonder if you are aware that "The Microsoft Manual of
Style for Technical Publications," © 1995, Microsoft Press, provides
guidelines and recommendations specifically for technical documentation.

Whether you decide to follow their suggestions -- or set your own
stylistic conventions -- maintain consistency throughout your manual,
that's what's most important.

BTW, one thing I've noticed in Microsoft's online docs and manuals is
that they don't always follow their own guidelines! ;-)

Oh, one more quick note -- in the computer world, you only require a
single space between sentences. With proportional typefaces, using two
spaces adds an excessively large gap. (For more information on this --
and other typographic guidelines -- refer to Robin Williams' book "The
Mac is not a typewriter," © 1990, Peachpit Press.)

Ms. Ronni Geist
Director, Editorial Services
GeistWriters
914.353.EDIT