Re: Question about Programmers and Usability -Reply

Subject: Re: Question about Programmers and Usability -Reply
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 16:15:14 -0800

For the most part I've seen people getting past the easy stereotypes and
discussing the point of view of the programmer. There was a great post
right after my post about "Close to the Machine" that went in depth into
the poster's understanding of how programmers must relate to their
particular problems and the difficulty in stepping back from the
technical aspects.

In my post I made a comment about stereotypes, anticipating that the
original post might resuscitate those hoary old jokes. I joked about
the generally human tendency to look for deficiencies in others to build
ourselves up--in this case, to pounce on usability as something we are
*so* much better at than programmers. Most of us recognise this
phenomenon, and I think made a point of bypassing it in our responses.

I did use the phrase "insufferably arrogant" in a joking way in my post.
Sorry about that--put it down to frustration that my programming
coworkers are virtually the only group I know that can make me feel
irretreivably stupid.
Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems, Inc. (ATS)