Re: Single sourcing Word and HTML

Subject: Re: Single sourcing Word and HTML
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 09:20:07 -0500

Kylie,
I have produced excellent results using HTML Transit from InfoAccess.
This tool uses a "conversion template" which maps Word styles to
"conversion elements" that have specific HTML tags and elements
associated with them. You can also map HTML page splits to specific
paragraph styles (e.g. Heading 1 and Heading 2), and Transit will
automatically generate hypertext links for all cross-references and
bookmarks in the Word file.
If your writers have consistently used a small set of Word templates
and/or stylesheets, this approach should be pretty painless. If there
are a lot of different Word templates in use, or if your writers use a
lot of locally-formatted Normal paragraphs, the need to create/tweak
a lot of conversion templates may not be practical.
Fully functional demo versions of HTML Transit 2.0x and 3.0 are
available at http://www.infoaccess.com . If you are using Word97,
you'll need to use the 3.0 version. Otherwise, you may prefer the
older version of HTML Transit, which generates "cleaner" HTML
(by default, the 3.0 version adds explicit FONT FACE and FONT
SIZE tags to each and every paragraph) and handles certain features
better than the newer version, IMO.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com