cont. SUMMARY: Masters Online Programs

Subject: cont. SUMMARY: Masters Online Programs
From: Faith Wallis <fwallis -at- CGN -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 14:50:01 -0600

[cont.]
Dear Faith,

Kandis Weiner recently posted a message about some online programs.
I've included her message

below. There may be more information in the TechWR-L archives. I also
encourage you to check

the list of educational opportunities at STC's web site.

Some other URLs that I've seen posted over the past year in TechWR-L are

Syracuse University http://www.suce.syr.edu/online/
University of Minnesota http://rhetoric.agri.umn.edu/
UC Berkeley Extension http://www-cmil.unex.berkeley.edu/
USDA grad school http://grad.usda.gov (correspondence courses)
James Madison University http://www.jmu.edu/techscicom/
TexasTech Univesity http://fur.rscc.cc.tn.us/TechWrit/techhome.html
???? http://fur.rscc.cc.tn.us/TechWrit/techhome.html

I have not verified all links as still active and I have no idea if
these places offer full

degree programs or just the occasional class.

I took an online class through Utah State University this past fall that
I was pleased with. I

believe they are offering a full Master's program online. Dr. David
Hailey just posted a URL

with information on the winter quarter online courses offered at USU.
In case you missed it,

it's at http://english.usu.edu/distance/registration/index.htm

I suggest you contact Dr. Hailey (FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU)for more
information on their program. I would be happy to answer any questions
you
have about my experience taking the online class this fall. (Contrary to

Kandis's statement, I found USU's cost to be extremely reasonable and
among
the least expensive options I've found. Also, Dr. Hailey has recently
posted that they have no plans for an on-campus requirement.)

Hope this helps,
Cindy Loiselle (cindy -at- aai -dot- com)
Amerinex Applied Imaging

Here's the message posted by Kandis Weiner:
Greetings Techwrl-rs and STC-listers:

A few weeks back, I posted a request for information on distance
learning
programs in Tech. Comm. It has taken me awhile to gather information;
however, I noticed a similar request posted to both lists, so I finally
got
my act together... Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, hope this
helps others as well. I will cross-post this message to both the
and the Tech. Comm. Students lists:

Schools:

Utah State University offers the most extensive online Masters Program
of
all that I found. According to the woman who forwarded the info, they
get
good professors. The only draw back I found was that it was quite
expensive
(from a Canuck's perspective) and you may be required to make periodic
trips to campus. Find it at: http://english.usu.edu/

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (out of Troy, NY)
Also offers online Masters; however, they are not Tech. Comm. per se,
but
related - human/computer interaction, design and the like. (I am still
waiting info...)
Find it at http://www.rsvp.rpi.edu/rsvp

Mercer University in Atlanta, Georgia also has an online program.
http://168.17.210.200/MSTCO%20Public/default.htm

Texas Tech University is also offering graduate classes for
technical communication online. You might find something useful here:
http://english.ttu.edu/tc/dl.htm

Helpful Resources:

For general information and listing of all the schools who offer tech
comm
programs, see http://www.stc-va.org/Academics/school.html

Keith Soltys's web site may be useful,
"Internet Resources for Technical Communicators" at:
http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/techcomm.html
Keith is a member of the Toronto STC chapter, and he does include some
info here about online courses.

Canadian:
Canadian Institute of New Media is offering a Masters with the
University
of B.C., but it is on site as far as I know (Iam waiting for info). They

are at http://www.mediavision.cotr.bc.ca/institut.htm

After all that, I think I will be following a course at a local,
Montreal
university, Concordia. They have a Masters/Diploma program in
Educational
Design and Information Technology. It comes highly recommended by
friends
who have followed the course, but I still await news from other sources
regarding online programs.

Cheers!
Kandis Weiner
Technical Communicator - System Deployment Group
Public Safety Division - Positron Industries Inc.
Montreal, Quebec Canada
kandisw -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca
514.345.2200 ext. 2869
www.positron911.com
Standard Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.

Check us our at http://English.usu.edu/distance/registration/index.htm
we have a program much like what you are describing.
Dave Hailey
FAHAILEY -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu

Faith,

I started taking Master's courses for the very same reasons.

Take a look at Texas Tech University
http://english.ttu.edu/tc/MATCoverview.htm

I am currently enrolled in their distance learning MATC program, and am
extremely pleased with the class that I have taken so far.

If you have any other questions about the program, write me (no, I am
not affiliated with the school, just a happy student).

Jason Willebeek-LeMair
jlemair -at- itexchsrv2 -dot- phx -dot- mcd -dot- mot -dot- com

My boss forwarded this to me:

Subject: Re: On-Line Technical Writing Class
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:40:46 +0530
From: Srinath Shiragalale <srinath -at- india -dot- aspectdv -dot- com>
To: twin -at- user -dot- itconsult -dot- co -dot- uk
CC: jyoti -at- india -dot- aspectdv -dot- com

Hi David,
I am Srinath, a technical writer in Bangalore, India. Please send me
more
details (like how to register from here, etc.,)regarding this course.

Regards,
srinath.
e-mail: srinath -at- india -dot- aspectdv -dot- com