Supporting documents in multiple languages

Subject: Supporting documents in multiple languages
From: Chris Wilcox <Clwilcox -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:48:28 -0700

Our company has new facilities in Malaysia and Belgium. We're
implementing a couple of new software systems for which we have been
diligently creating new user manuals. Our Belgium facility has
requested that we translate the documents into French so that the
workforce will have both of them at their disposal, and we've already
had instances where controlled documents have been translated to the
appropriate language for our Malaysia audience without regard for the
content control.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation? I'm not in the business of
technical translation, but foresee a nightmare in the making if we
attempt to have multiple versions of the same documents floating
around--especially if "corporate" (translation: my department) becomes
responsible for them (those 2 years of French I took in high school
probably won't cut it). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Chris Wilcox
clwilcox -at- micron -dot- com