Problem with cross-references in Word 97

Subject: Problem with cross-references in Word 97
From: Linda Meissenheimer <lmeissenheimer -at- DJTTD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 11:38:08 +0000

Fellow techwhirlers,

I delurk from Desperation City to request any helpful advice you can
offer about a problem with malfunctioning cross-references in a set of
linked documents converted from Word 6 to Word 97.

I have a set of 15 separate Word documents, created in Word 6, that were
linked using the Reference Document feature. Each document contains many
cross-references, either to sections within the same document or to
other documents in the set. In Word 6, this worked admirably as an
alternative to Word's master document feature.

However, in Word 97 the cross-references no longer work correctly.

1. For cross-references to a section in the same document, the software
enters 0 instead of the specified section number, even after I re-insert
the cross-reference in Word 97. Example: "refer to section 0".

2. A cross-reference to a heading number and heading name in another of
the referenced documents that appeared correctly in Word 6 as (example):

... Refer to section 5.4, "Starting the Database", ...
now appears in Word 97 as:
... Refer to section 0, "5.4 [tab] Starting the Database", ...
The tab replaces the comma after the section number and creates an
unacceptable gap in the text.

I've checked Microsoft's online support, to no avail. I would be
grateful for any ideas on how to solve this problem, and/or an URL for a
Word listserv that might be of help.

Linda Meissenheimer
lmeissenheimer -at- djttd -dot- com
"Writing is easy. All you have to do is
cross out the wrong words." - Mark Twain