Re: A Per Diem story, does this sound right?

Subject: Re: A Per Diem story, does this sound right?
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:07:57 -0500

Whether this is the typical arrangement or not, the IRS has very
specific rules about what part of your income can and cannot be
considered non-taxable, no how your employer characterizes it.

You should _not_ file your federal or state tax return based only on
what the agency tells you, but rather seek the advice of a qualified
accountant--preferably a CPA, not your local H&R Block trainee.

As I understand the basic rule (caveat: I am not an accountant), certain
expenses that you have in working at a distance from home are
deductible. You add up these actual expenses. If the per diem you've
been paid (i.e., the untaxed income you've received) exactly matches
that total, you're fine. If it is more, then you owe the taxes on the
difference. If it is less, then you have an additional deduction coming.
But in any case, you will be filing itemized deductions, and the real
rules in this specialized circumstance are more complicated than what is
printed in the instructions that come with the tax form (which tend to
simplify in the direction of giving the IRS more money than you really
owe them).

Dick Margulis