How commonly used are PDFs? (Was: Should we skip HTML?)

Subject: How commonly used are PDFs? (Was: Should we skip HTML?)
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:01:04 -0600

I'm seeing a lot of claims on this list regarding the
PDF format and Adobe Acrobat. Generally, it's

"Everyone's using it."
versus
"Don't be ridiculous. Hardly anyone is using it."

Unfortunately all of the claims seem based on *subjective*
experience and personal opinion. Does anyone have any
objective evidence (studies, etc.)? I'm genuinely curious.

Regards,

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com

PS: My own particular bias is to use the PDF format if it
makes sense for you and your users. <shrug> It's
just another tool.