Re: How commonly used are PDFs? (Was: Should we skip HTML?)

Subject: Re: How commonly used are PDFs? (Was: Should we skip HTML?)
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:43:24 -0600

Unfortunately all of the claims seem based on *subjective*
experience and personal opinion. Does anyone have any
objective evidence (studies, etc.)? I'm genuinely curious.

I have the reader because nearly every website I visit regularly does some
things in PDF. Most of them also do HTML versions (though some don't) but
the PDF versions are far more convenient for me, as I download them and
take them home with me to read/study rather than tying up my phone line at
home reading them (as sure a way to antagonize a teenage daughter as I've
found).
Ever tried downloading a set of web pages without paying for special
software to do it for you?

PS: My own particular bias is to use the PDF format if it
makes sense for you and your users. <shrug> It's
just another tool.

Tell it, sister! Everyone who'll tell you that one format or the other is
the *only* way to do it is wrong (not to put too fine a point on it).

Personally, I see HTML's future growing dimmer and dimmer. It's too
limiting
and fragmented to be more than the rough-and-ready file transport tool it
was designed to be. XML may have a brighter future, we'll see.

One thing is certain. No matter what medium you choose to work with today,
in a few years you'll be moving on to something else. Pick the one that
works for your application and don't mind the religious zealots.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224