HYPHENATION QUESTION

Subject: HYPHENATION QUESTION
From: Patricia Kim <pkim -at- BLACKSMITH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:19:36 -0500

I am new to the list, and fairly new to the technical writing field. I
have a question regarding the correct hyphenation and capitalization of
the phrase "what-if scenario". I have seen it used in several different
ways in the software requirements document I'm working on (e.g.,
with/without hyphen, with/without quotation marks, initial caps, no
caps, leaving out the word "scenario", etc.).

My guess (or maybe my preference) is to use "what-if scenarios" in the
generic sense and "What-If Scenario" if referring to a specific case (I
would not include the quotes). Can anyone tell me if there's a standard
for using this phrase? It's driving me nuts...

You can either respond to me directly or to this list. Thanks, and I'm
happy to have found this group!

Patricia Kim (pkim -at- BLaCKSMITH -dot- com)
Technical Writer
BLaCKSMITH, Inc.