Re: Pricing Translation Costs

Subject: Re: Pricing Translation Costs
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:39:22 -0800

I forgot to mention I have a list of localization vendors as well. As
you may have guessed from the number of responses you received, many,
many companies today sell their products worldwide and localization is a
must. Governments of some countries (France is one) won't even consider
buying products unless they are completely localized.

However, (and I'm sure this will surprise you) many offshore end-users
also want the original ENGLISH version of the documentation. Why?
According to several of our in-country sales offices, many end users
have received incorrectly "translated" documents in the past and have
had serious problems because of it. Consequently, they don't entirely
trust the translated version of the documents and can read at least some
of the English anyway. As you probably know, in many countries today,
many people speak at least some English as well as their native
language. English classes are *required* in some European countries.

-dg