Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts

Subject: Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts
From: Scott Gray <scotty -at- CM -dot- MATH -dot- UIUC -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:54:36 -0600

> Going back to the nurse example, obviously no one in their right mind
> would lecture you on how to draw blood, then send you into the
> workforce. But teaching yourself to draw blood is just as bad. My
> problem is with your premise that self-teaching is *always* the best way
> to learn *anything.* Discovery learning is a wonderful, effective way to
> learn many things (and in fact we use it extensively in our practical
> nursing curriculum). But there are things you can safely and effectively
> learn on your own (though it's silly to insist CBT is always the best
> way to learn them), and there are things an expert should teach you.

I think you misunderstand me. *Guided* self learning is great! In fact,
most learning occurs this way. At issue I think is *TIMING*. Remember
when you learned to drive a car? You learned by getting behind the wheel
with a mentor in the passanger seat coaching you along the way. It appears
that some of the people on this list are suggesting that is it better to
"stand up" and explain all about driving, perhaps even "demonstrate" how
to drive to students. They call this training. I do not.

Of course, CBT is not the best way to learn everything. (It *IS* the best
way to learn anything that has to with operating or programming a
computer). It can be used to simulate many many things...the defense
dept. even uses it to train pilots! The power of the computer is that is
can be interactive and it can be used to simulate MANY situations and give
feedback.

Scott