REQUIRED: WRITING SAMPLES

Subject: REQUIRED: WRITING SAMPLES
From: Dick Gaskill <dickg -at- AG3D -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:23:19 -0800

Sorry John, HR people do not ask for writing samples. Hiring
managers do. HR people look for a lot of other things.

Your writing samples are indicative of your ability to write and
that's what you're being hired to do. As a pubs manager, I'd never
hire someone who could not provide writing samples of some kind. I
expect every tech writer to be prudent enough to save at least some
examples of his or her work. With the exception of classified material
and unpublshed documents describing unreleased products, it's not
necessary to have permission from a client to show a prospective
employer two or three pages of a document. As a writer, it's your
responsibility to know when the products you write about will be
released, so you would know when it is ok to use the samples without
jeopardizing your non-disclosure agreement.

-dg

>Hi All,
>
>I'm in transition from independent to captive. (Currently a
contractor,
>with negotiations going on regarding a "permanent" position.)
>
>When the question of writing samples came up in my interviews,
I told them