Re: Binding arb clause in new contract--unfair?!

Subject: Re: Binding arb clause in new contract--unfair?!
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 15:07:05 -0800

I've done as Roger said, struck out clauses and added new ones. The Agency
was a bit surprised, but not against it. In one case, the contract was so
awfully written that I edited the whole thing. When it was rewritten, I
signed it, and only then. So, you can say it's done in the industry.

However, I am concerned about the fact that this company has some
characteristics that you are not comfortable with. My advice is not to
sign.

Marilynne

At 9:39 AM -0800 3/24/98, Roger Mallett wrote:
> >>with my work and doesn't like the agency either.
>
>Very simple answer to this: strike it from the contract (as well as
>anything else you don't like or want modified). If they state that such
>a clause is no big deal and not to worry about it, point back at them
>and say if it isn't such a big deal then strike it. If they don't want
>to work with you, then let the manager for whom you work know what is
>happening and ask if he would step in the gap for you.
>
>Do not fear rewriting the contract to work best for you. I they don't
>like it, they risk loosing you and a good client. The possibility of
>such a loss is quite uncomfortable for the agency.
>
>I have struck done such several times, with success each time.

>Roger Mallett
>Control Systems
>(714) 458-5040 x 239

Marilynne Smith Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com
"We'll have the whole world talking"