Re: Breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Breaking into Technical Writing
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 23:26:19 -0800

Someone wrote:
>Yes, but it is very possible to *break into* technical writing by
>contributing content (words or otherwise) for web pages, brochures and other
>materials.

Technical writing is an honorable profession; one may enter it properly
instead of breaking into it. <g>

>I wonder how many of us actually had guidance in technical writing from
>other technical writers or writing peers when we started. More likely, most
>of us applied a natural sense of curiousity and the ability to translate
>processes into plain English and just ran with it. Technical writing is a
>lot about problem-solving, consistency and exercising other individual
>talents.

I agree that curiosity is important; however, the "What happens if I do
this?" technique doesn't work with explosives. <g> I now work with
software instead of explosives.

Sue Ellen Adkins mailto:sea -at- netcom -dot- com
"Execute your dreams...or execute your dreams."
--Luke Vaxhacker