Knowledge Base information

Subject: Knowledge Base information
From: "Cowley, Martha - Broomfield, CO" <Martha -dot- Cowley -at- CEXP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:18:49 -0700

Hello Listees,

My company is looking into putting together a knowledge base that will
be used by our field users (who have little PC experience), as well as
our technical corporate headquarters (programmers, developers, analysts,
etc. with lots of PC savvy). I am part of the group who has input to the
project and I am looking for various knowledge base examples, tools
used, and definitions.
My problem is that the project lead has a very nebulous definition of
what the knowledge base should be, what objectives it must meet, what
material is to be included, and the interface required for our divergent
audience skills, and I strongly believe that to continue this project by
moving into a tool selection and scope exploration phase, we need a more
definitive description of what our target is. I need more information to
back up my objections besides the voice of logic.

So I am asking the experience of the list who have knowledge bases in
their companies or have designed/used them before to give me some
information pertaining to:
* a brief description of their knowledge bases,
* the tool(s) used to design it,
* what preferences the interface should address,
* what they like and what they don't like,
* and any white pages or web sites pertaining to knowledge bases.
Please respond to me off list as I am a digest reader and I will post
summaries of the information gathered to the list. Thanks in advance for
sharing your knowledge and experience.

Martha Cowley.
martha -dot- cowley -at- cexp -dot- com