Re: Use of the definite article before product names

Subject: Re: Use of the definite article before product names
From: Ronni Geist <ronni -at- GEISTWRITERS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:14:31 -0500

Stephen -

Try substituting a noun (for example, the name of the product) in place
of the acronym to determine whether an article is needed.

For example, if one were writing about a modem manufactured by Modems
International, an article would NOT be necessary before the proper
noun...

To install Modems International's new 56K modem...

However, if one were writing about the modem, without the name of the
manufacturer, an article WOULD be appropriate...

To install the modem...

Therefore, if using an acronym instead of the name, an article WOULD be
appropriate...

To install the MOD-123...

Hope this helps!
Ronni