Re: Academic vs. technical writing

Subject: Re: Academic vs. technical writing
From: Linda Laurie <LinLaurie -at- CLASSIC -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 02:09:31 UT

When I first started writing, I used to think one style of writing was better
than the other. Then, with experience, I realized that there are more than two
types of technical writing styles. Technical writing consists of a style for
writing user guides, another for writing reference manuals, and another for
writing online documentation, just to state a few. I'm not an academic writer,
but I agree with Chaim that it was developed for a specific audience, as are
all writing styles. In the end, no one style is better than another as "the
answer". As technical writers, we must always look at what we want to
communicate, who we want to inform, and pick the best style for the job.

Lin
Linlaurie -at- msn -dot- com
http://www.winpro-press.com

Are you getting your weekly dose of HTML and WinHelp news? Our site,
http://www.winpro-press.com has the latest news, information and articles for
technical writers and help developers.