Re: Web vs. web?

Subject: Re: Web vs. web?
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:12:47 -0800

At 6:55 PM -0800 4/1/98, Lani Hardage wrote:
>Well put for the Web and adjectives. But what is the difference between
>Internet and internet? I believe there is only one; local "internets"
>are actually intranets.

An internet is a network of networks. It may use any protocol and be of any
size and extent, although typically internets are WANs (if you have a LAN,
it's usually simpler to make it a single net). The Internet that we all
know and love is one specific internet. Sort of like the difference between
"a parliament" and "THE Parliament, the one in England".

"Intranet" is not really a term with a precise technical definition; I've
usually seen it used to mean an in-house TCP/IP network that provides
typical Internet services (mail service, web service) and is connected to
the Internet via a firewall or other security barrier. As far as I can
tell, most intranets aren't internets; they're single networks.

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- best -dot- com
http://www.best.com/~jaed/