Re: Trademark Question

Subject: Re: Trademark Question
From: bmaaks -at- TELLABS -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 08:35:33 CST

'Morning, everyone,

One of the no-nos about trademarks is using it in a possessive form:

Microsoft Word's capabilities
Adobe FrameMaker's tools

After looking in the company's latest annual report, I see the company
name used as a possessive. However, I see tradmarked product names used
as adjectives: "the PRODUCTNAME(R) system's first appearance..." so it
is preceded by "the" and followed by a noun, which it modifies. So that
turns my examples into the following forms:

the Word capabilities
the FrameMaker tools

This doesn't necessarily mean that you cannot use pronouns in the place
of the tradmarked name: its capabilities, its tools (please, no apostrophe
on "its"!).

I have a URL on trademarks (I haven't looked at the site. Maybe someone
could report to the listserve on its content and usefulness):

http://www.ggmark.com

Regards,

Betsy Maaks
bmaaks -at- tellabs -dot- com

I only speak for myself, not the company nor its products.