Measuring readability

Subject: Measuring readability
From: "Collier,Michael" <Michael -dot- Collier -at- CNALIFE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 12:57:25 -0600

I've been asked to ensure that our user docs are written on a 10th grade
level so that they are understandable to a wide audience. If you've had to
do this, how do you measure this?

I searched the archives and the web and found references to the Gunning Fog
Index and the Flesch Readability Index, but I couldn't determine if these
enforce a grade level standard (plus, if they're dated, and with the decline
of literacy...)

Has anyone used an index or standard for this? No mil specs, please. Is
there any software that does this?

Thanks,

Michael Collier
mailto:mcollier -at- cnalife -dot- com