Re: "The" before names

Subject: Re: "The" before names
From: mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:42:25 -0500

Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU> wrote:

> Amusingly but relevantly, many years ago when I was a corporate wage
slave, I heard someone refer to my then employer as "the IBM" (a bit
like "the FBI" or "the CIA"!)

Here in the U.S., we do refer to "the FBI" and "the CIA" but not, of
course, to "the IBM." I don't know what the rule is.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
who would like to imitate the amazing Dick Dimock in telling people
that she works in Washington, DC (where it is currently warm,
breezy, and slightly past cherry-blossom peak), not far from
the CIA, and lives in lovely Vienna, Virginia, breeding ground for
soccer moms and a few miles from the CIA (and the Claude Moore
Colonial Farm) in Langley
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)