offsite rates

Subject: offsite rates
From: Laurie Little <llittle -at- GSALINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:46:12 -0400

I would like to troll the masses to gauge how you set your rates. Do you
have a higher or lower rate for offsite vs onsite rates?

A colleague told me she charged $10 more per hour for onsite work,
because it was very undesirable for her to work away from home. However,
she also said that she's heard from other technical writers that they
charge MORE for offsite work than onsite work because when offsite you
use your own equipment, provide your own office supplies and other
overhead costs, etc.

I'd be more inclined to set a lower rate for offsite, because of the
savings in food/clothing/travel time & cost, etc. and also the
convenience of not rushing my son to daycare so I can get to the
worksite on time.

How about it? Also, if you do have different rates, what's the
difference -- $5? $10? a percentage?

Thanks,

Laurie L. Little From there to here, from here to there,
llittle -at- gsalink -dot- com Funny things are everywhere <Dr. Seuss>
416-593-6262 x 533