Re: THE IBM

Subject: Re: THE IBM
From: Julie Knoeller <jknoelle -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:33:26 -0700

>> Here in the U.S., we do refer to "the FBI" and "the CIA" but not,
>> of course, to "the IBM." I don't know what the rule is.

Is it because the noun is included in the abbreviation? THE Central Intelligence AGENCY, whereas with IBM it's not THE International Business Machines CORPORATION (which would be IBMC), but International business Machines... I'm probably not making myself very clear... but do you know what I mean? :)

>I once ran into a group of clerks & managers from Aetna (the insurance
>company) who constantly used "the Aetna" in casual conversation.

They must be brain damaged.

Julie Knoeller
Sr. Technical Editor
Cisco Systems, Inc.

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise."
--William Blake