Q about HTML tables and compatibility

Subject: Q about HTML tables and compatibility
From: Ian Ferguson <IanFe -at- ATTACHMATE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 18:16:09 -0700

Here's a question for the HTML writers on the list:

I'm writing a table that has five columns and two rows. The bottom row
has a column span of 5, and I've put a graphic in it. In the top row,
I've put a small blank GIF in column 1, then text in the next four
cells. By tweaking the width attribute of the <TD>'s, I can get the
text to line up with the graphic.

Problem: when I switch browsers, the text has moved (to the left).

Requirements: Has to look good on IE 4 and 3.02 and Navigator 4 on
Windows 95 and NT.
Would be nice: To have the flexibility of text, instead of giving up
and making a bunch of graphics to solve the problem.

I just signed up with the HWG mailing list to ask them also. But I've
been lurking here for months, so I feel more comfortable asking you
folks. Any ideas?

Ian Ferguson
Technical Writer, Attachmate Corporation
ianfe -at- attachmate -dot- com