Archive Formats

Subject: Archive Formats
From: "Burke, Diane" <Diane -dot- Burke -at- COGNOS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 11:50:23 -0400

Good morning, all.

I am running into a challenge with our documentation concerning archiving or
single-sourcing. Indeed, are these two processes even synonymous?

Up until recently, our documentation was archived/single-sourced in MS Word.
From this, we were able to create two outputs, WinHelp and printed
documentation, with minimal fuss. We have now added another output to the
mix - HTML/web-based documents that incorporate Javascript and CSSs.

Is anyone else putting a process into place that allows authoring and
maintaining HTML documentation and that also permits conversion to a
printable medium for publishing as a manual?

What archive/single-source processes are others using?

Looking forward to your thoughts and ideas....

Diane

Diane Burke
DataMerchant Publications
Cognos Inc. (613) 738-1338, ext. 3531
E-mail: diane -dot- burke -at- cognos -dot- com