Re: Still Tops?

Subject: Re: Still Tops?
From: David Dvorkin <DDvorkin -at- FRXSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 14:23:57 -0600

Kevin Freeman asked about the state of tech writing as a career.

Kevin, my perspective is shorter than yours (I've been a tech writer
for under six years), but here's my impression, anyway.

In this area (Denver-Boulder), the profession is growing rapidly.
That may be a byproduct of the growth in all kinds of hi-tech
jobs here, but it's my subjective impression that tech writing is
growing faster than the rest, and I think the reason is that the
perceived value of professionally done documentation is rising.
Tech pubs departments seem to be growing faster than the
development groups they support. Salaries are very good and
increasing.

We'll soon take over the world. Or be as rich as Bill Gates. Take
your pick.