Re: Copyright Infringement and Frames [OFF, possibly]

Subject: Re: Copyright Infringement and Frames [OFF, possibly]
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 13:16:38 -0400

Sokohl, Joe wrote

>Recently I found my Web site hijacked by a group called the Mining
>Company.
>
>I'd written Gary Conroy, the head of the technical writing guide and
>asked him simply to add "TARGET='_TOP'" to the HREF tag jumping to my
>page.

So why not fix it yourself with a little java script that checks to see if
the page is in the top frame and reloads the page in that frame if it isn't.
(Please don't ask me for the exact code.)

>Does this bother anyone else?

Unless they actually claim ownership, no. This is the nature of the medium
and if we decide to publish in a particular medium, we accept the risks of
doing so.

The problem may be that we often fail to think through the binding of our
web sites. We assume out pages will be viewed in the context we intend and
forget that every page on the web is as viable a link target as any other.
You cannot bind a web site with a cover page and glue, they way we do a
book. The binding of a web site must be on every page. A properly bound
website will not loose its identity if it is "pirated" into someone else's
frame set.

---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications