Result: Q about tables and compatibility

Subject: Result: Q about tables and compatibility
From: Ian Ferguson <IanFe -at- ATTACHMATE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:19:14 -0700

Hey folks,

Forgive me if this doesn't address something posted today. I
accidentally deleted my digest.
Thanks to all who replied to my question about tables. I learned a
lot:

First thing I was doing wrong was that the width of my table and the
width of all the cells (including the cell padding) didn't equal each
other, and so the browsers had room for interpretation, and of course
they interpreted differently.

Second thing I learned was that I tended to get unpredictable results
in MS Internet Explorer (IE) if my table didn't have a border. You can
set the border to "1" and add bordercolor="white" but then in Netscape
Navigator (NN) the border shows up because NN doesn't understand the
bordercolor attribute.

Anyhow, I resolved the problem of the text not lining up with the
graphic, but splitting the graphic into pieces, and putting those
pieces into cells of their own. That worked well. Thanks again for
your help.

Ian Ferguson
Technical Writer, Attachmate Corporation
ianfe -at- attachmate -dot- com