Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 10 Apr 1998 to 11 Apr 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 10 Apr 1998 to 11 Apr 1998
From: John Prince <prince1 -at- WEBTV -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 13:03:07 -0500

I prefer the "File>Save" convention as well. Of course I explain this
method in the Preface under a "Conventions Used in This Book" section.

In fact I explain what everything is including, bold text, notes,
cross-references, procedures, et al.

I also write a "Dialog Box Conventions" section in which I describe each
of the dialog elements that appear in the software (spin boxes. option
buttons, drop-down boxes, etc.), and I explain how to use each one. I
would have never thought to use these until I received feedback from
users who wondered why they couldn't type inside a drop-down list box,
or they didn't know that they could type a valid value in a spin box.

However, I am now starting to think that I may need to explain menu
selections in detail. I am not joking when I tell you we had a user
phone because she did not know where the "Start" button was when I
wrote, "To open the program, go to Start>Programs..."

The only problem with this is that our software uses a lot of sub-menus
before reaching a desired command. When written out, it appears "wordy"
and somewhat confusing.

If they would just read the darn Preface! (A guy can dream can't he?)
;-)

John
http://members.tripod.com/~princej/DC.html (The Great Dallas Cowboys)