Survey of Training Delivery Systems

Subject: Survey of Training Delivery Systems
From: Kenneth Rainey <ktrainey -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:48:07 -0500

WHAT IS THIS?
Technical Communication Quarterly has asked us to survey businesses
and industries to determine the use of Web-mediated training activities.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?
We need your response to this important survey about the use of the
Internet and the WWW in industry training. It should take you no longer
than 15 minutes to respond to the survey. The survey is located at
www.jergroup.com/tcq310.htm

WHEN DO I NEED TO RESPOND?
We need your response ASAP. Please respond by April 24th.

WHO IS RESPONDING TO THIS SURVEY?
We are surveying STC Atlanta Chapter members, presidents of STC
Chapters nationwide, and members of the TECHWR-L, ATTW (Association of
Teachers of Technical Writing), and CPTSC (Council for Programs in
Technical and Scientific Communication) discussion lists.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS RESEARCH?
We seek to determine the extent to which industry is embracing
Web-served training courses. We hope to discover the following:
*to what extent is business/industry employing distance
learning technologies for training?
*what online facilites do they use (E-mail, discussion
groups, chatrooms, etc.)?
*what are the advantages to industry?
*what doesn't work so well?
*who are some of the key providers?
*who are some of the key corporate customers?
*what do they charge?
*what do they teach?
*what opportunities does this market afford?
*how much of the Web-based training is provided by private
vendors and how much is provided by academic vendors?

WHO IS CONDUCTING THIS RESEARCH?
*John Reid and Joe Bocchi, Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, GA
*Kenneth Rainey, Southern Polytechnic State University, Marietta, GA

WHAT DO I GET OUT OF THIS?
Our thanks; and the results to appear in a special issue of
Technical Communication Quarterly in the fall of 1998.