Word vs. Pagemaker or Framemaker

Subject: Word vs. Pagemaker or Framemaker
From: Smithfinn <Smithfinn -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:27:28 EDT

I just came from an interview where I was asked why use Framemaker or
Pagemaker if you could do the same things in MS Word. This is my first
interview for my first technical writing job. I searched the archives but
could not find a concise comparison of these applications that I could forwrad
to the interviewer. I did not have a good answer at the time and told the
interviewer I would do some research. I have used Framemaker but not Pagemaker
and have not attempted to create any long documentation in Word. This company
currently uses Pagemaker and wants to do whether the person they hire could
get by with Word for their software manuals. This person was just trying to
decide what the best tools for the job were. Their last technical writer wrote
everything on a Mac and they are trying to convert all her documents. Does
anyone know of a comparison that has already been done regarding these three
programs or does anyone have any comments that I could pass on? Thank you. I
appreciate any help.

Susan Finn
mailto: smithfinn -at- aol -dot- com