ADMIN: XML

Subject: ADMIN: XML
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:39:58 -0600

Gang,

As much as I think that XML is the wave of the future
for many technical communicators, the current discussion
is probably a bit more technical and abstract than is
really appropriate for TECHWR-L--at least at this time.
Additionally, the current discussion has veered more into
nuance and very minute details of XML per se (not
necessarily appropriate for the list) than the broader
"what is it and how does it affect technical
communicators" issue (which continues to be appropriate).

If you have other questions or want more information
about XML, do one of the following:
1) Post a specific question to the list--rather than continuing
the current discussion.
2) Email Deb (debray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or me offline.
3) Email Simon or Mark or Dan offline (I presume that they
would be willing to help out--based on the
energetic debates on all sides.)
4) Check out resources like
http://www.xml.com/ (a new but promising site)
http://www.jtauber.com/xml/ (great and thorough site)
http://www.w3.org/XML/ (the definitive source, but not
a good intro)
http://www.ucc.ie/xml/ (the XML FAQ)
http://www.sil.org/sgml/ (Robin Cover's SGML/XML page
provides incredible information)
Or, if you're only willing to read a single article to learn
more about XML, check out this one by Tim Bray (co-author of the
spec)
http://developer.netscape.com/viewsource/bray_xml.html

Yell with questions or comments.
Eric

* Eric J. Ray, ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, and others.
* RayComm, Inc., currently accepting contract inquiries.