Re: Cross-platform (web enabled) Help Systems?

Subject: Re: Cross-platform (web enabled) Help Systems?
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:42:10 -0400

I've just started working with Blue Sky's WebHelp, and it is a very good
solution for my situation. Our product is Win-NT based, but we're
working on a customised version for UNIX Solaris, and I need to be able
to deliver our existing help system, which is Winhelp created from Word
files. I've been having a few problems, but more likely a result of my
general ignorance of UNIX (and HTML).

Webhelp basically simulates the HTMLhelp look, with the contents/index
view on the left side of the window, but it does it using a Java applet
rather than the MS version of HTML. As a result, the help system can be
viewed on IE4 and Netscape (including the UNIX version of Netscape and
IE--in fact, I've been lucky enough to work with one of the contractors
who developed the UNIX version of IE).

One of the disadvantages for the original poster is that RoboHelp works
with Word files, not Frame, in fact you have to have Word. I don't know
if Blue Sky handles Frame files.

I would love to hear from any others using WebHelp, what's worked, what
hasn't.
Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems, Inc. (ATS)