Re: defining entry level

Subject: Re: defining entry level
From: Matt Danda <mdanda2 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:53:25 -0700

Jeff:
One little trick that some people do in your situation is to earn a
computer certificate. Yep, one of those little "Windows Application
Expert" things that you can earn at the local community college. This
prooves to the employer that you are in fact interested in computers
and are willing to learn more.

Personally, I got my first job purely on the fact that I was a student
in computer science and I expressed genuine interest in technical
writing. I beat out several highly qualified English-major types for
the job, because I expressed interest in the "technical" part of being
a "technical writer."

Remember, technical writers are very often hired by programmers,
programmers who couldn't care less about 19th century British
literature, but will smile broadly when you tell them about dynamic
HTML or context-sensitive links to Help topics.

BTW...I never finished the CS degree because I had too much fun
working as a technical writer (and I already had a liberal arts
degree). But the 15 hours of CS credit I earned made a world of
difference in my career.

Hope this helps....
Matt

==
Matthew Danda
Technical Writer in Software Development
Orlando, Florida